This year we’ll spend Christmas in smaller family gatherings. In general, we stay much more time at home and sometimes we run out of ideas on how to make after-work evening routine more attractive. I think it’s a great opportunity to decorate our homes and apartments following various DIY hints. We can cook more and explore some new areas. Who knows what we can find out? Maybe a new hobby? Some creativity never harmed anybody! And, with all this, we can try to promote eco-zero/less-waste approach!
I have some tips and tricks for you which might be useful:
- Reusable bags for fruits/veggies, peanuts etc. (you can make it yourself or order online i.e. those made of cotton will last for years).
- Do a quick summary of your habits and be honest with yourself…😊 How much food, decorations, and any other things you bought that you didn't need?
- If you have some clothes you don't wear anymore, you can donate them to Ciuchodzielnia; and if there's too much food left after your Christmas dinner, visit Foodsharing Krakow or Zupa na Plantach.
- It’s a good time to check what you have at home and what you can remake and reuse. Paint things, cut them, glue them, create something new from old things.
- Use e-cards for those people who you know would be happy with it.
- You can also prepare cards yourself, they don't need to be perfect. You can spend an hour with your kids or friends and have great fun preparing them!
- DIY is super fashionable and popular nowadays. You can find tons of ideas on the Internet. Many of them are very easy and don't require a lot of preparation.
- You can use mason jars or buy pretty cans and add some elements to them that may be appreciated like: high quality tea, coffee, spices, dry fruits, cake mixtures, etc. You can even make a "forest in a jar".
- If you know anyone who drinks a lot of water or exercises - this person could appreciate a bottle made of stainless steel or dark glass.
- For those interested in cosmetics, you may try natural and organic ones like soaps, shampoo bars, deodorants in little jars etc.
- Wrap presents in anything but plastic. Use paper tape, paper or material ribbons. Be creative 🙂
- Look for local homemade products.
- If you need to replace any Christmas decorations that you have, look for handmade ones or the ones made from natural materials.
- Did you know that instead of buying Christmas tree each year you can buy one made of wood and have it for years! It's so beautiful with lights on!
- Food: try some new recipes, maybe you can try vegan cuisine? They are usually healthier and lighter, now we may use some alternative when we spend so much time at home.
- You can make your own candles with natural oils (or order them online) – there are many natural soya candles (or soya wax for DIY).
Gifts you didn't like
- You may use different options for exchanging things. For example, use OLX, LESS or Vinted app (this one is for clothes only) or donate them e.g. to Ciuchodzielnia.
It’s a good opportunity to do as many things yourself, be creative, have quality fun and just enjoy Christmas time. 😊
Here are some nice vegan recipes I've recently tested, enjoy!
Return to the blog posts list